Sunday, October 25, 2009

Apples Galore!

Hello all! Sorry for the long wait since the last post. I knew it would be tough to make time to keep this blog up, but it has proven to be a bit more difficult than even I thought! But, better late than never, right? During September, we focused our science studies on apples. We learned about the parts of the apple, different colors of apples, read books about apple trees in different seasons & more. Here are some photos of the work the children we working on:

Making a book about apples: The predictable text allows the child to read it on his own.

Apple dot-to-dot: The children practice numeral recognition as well as handwriting.

Parts of the apple
Apple graph: The children sort the apples by color then color the graph to determine which color has the most & the least.
Apple necklace: The children use straws and apple cut-outs to copy a pattern. Then using their fine motor control, they string the staws and apples to make a necklace.

Apple pattern: The children practice patterning using different colored apples. First, they copy the pattern, then extend the pattern on their own. Later, after more practice, the child can use the apples to create her own pattern.

2 comments:

  1. I like that. That's cute. I wish I had somethings ike this when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're still checking the blog even though I haven't posted since September! I hope you had a nice break with Kenya. I look forward to seeing her in the morning!

    ReplyDelete